The Genetic Evaluation project is now open to all interested DSANA members in the US. Steps for participation are detailed in the blue box to the right, and include:
Interpreting the Results
GenOvis runs weekly updates on the production data they receive. The information can be complicated to interpret and understand. At the 2018 Dairy Sheep Symposium, Dr Ron Lewis, University of Nebraska, presented wonderful information on using Estimated Breeding Values. This presentation is a great introduction to EBVs, as well as a refresher for those somewhat familiar with EBVs (or EPDs); click here for links to the paper and the accompanying slides.
Enrollment Forms for the DSANA Genetic Evaluation Project:
Farm registration and payment for Genetic-Evaluation Project: CLICK TO PAY NOW
2019 Genetics Evaluation Project Steps
1. Complete the farm enrollment form and pay the $300 registration to DSANA
2. Email a signed, scanned copy of your farm enrollment form to Laurel Kieffer at email@example.com
3. Laurel will send you animal enrollment forms and instructions. Laurel is available to coach you through the process.
4. Complete the animal enrollment forms and return to Laurel. Let Laurel know when you plan to start milk production testing and at what level you are participating.
5. Laurel will review and manage any edits.
6. Once the animal enrollment forms are completed, Laurel will forward to your flock's data to GenOvis to get animals into their database.
7. Laurel will forward you the milk-testing data entry forms and instructions, and be available to coach you. Milk test data is to be sent back to Laurel for review. Laurel will forward information to GenOvis.
8. GenOvis will calculate results within 1-2 weeks after receipt and email back to the farm.